Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice


Our area got the milder part of the ice storm. That said, I just spent the last three hours chipping ice off the paved part of the driveway. The photos below show part of the paved driveway during the spring. It is very long and steep, and I have not been able to take a photo that does it justice. Luckily the ice storm started with sleet instead of freezing rain. This meant the ice hadn't glazed the driveway, but had formed a floating veneer instead. I could break apart the icy coating and it fractured into shards that was easy to shovel off.



















I launched into the ice removal at the first sight of daylight because the community college where I attend classes planned to open at 10AM this morning, just in time for my class. By 8:30AM, I realized that I was on a fool's mission, and there was no way I could get to class safely and on time. After I emailed the instructor with my regrets, I rechecked the inclement weather message and found that the college changed the opening to 12 Noon. No class after all.

But I dutifully went back to the driveway to finish the job. And now that I am back, Tommy and Jimmy are busy issuing commands. Yeow, yeow, yeow! And when I move, I say ow, ow, ow!

No comments: